An endovascular stent graft is nothing but a small metal scaffold inside your aorta. The stent-graft generally supports the weak areas of your aorta. An endovascular stent graft is a non-invasive surgical procedure used to treat abdominal aortic aneurysm.
An endovascular stent graft is a synthetic fiber that is supported by a metal structure called stent in your aorta. Your aorta becomes weak while suffering from an abdominal aortic aneurysm and this stent graft can help to bypass the area of the aorta weakened by an aneurysm and helps in preventing the rupture.
How is the Endovascular Stent Graft placed?
While suffering from an abdominal aortic aneurysm, an endovascular stent graft is placed in an aortic aneurysm. The placement of stent in the affected aorta is a stepwise procedure that includes
- In the initial step, a catheter is inserted into the artery in your leg near the groin
- A delivery catheter is inserted through the vessel into an aortic aneurysm that can guide the stent to the affected area.
- Your endovascular surgeon makes use of imaging methods that guides the delivery catheter in carrying the stent graft to the abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Once the stent graft reaches the affected area, your surgeon fastens it into the place and removes the delivery catheter.
- This endovascular stent graft is placed inside the abdominal aorta to avoid the bursting of an aneurysm.
Benefits of using Endovascular Stent Graft
The common benefits of using an endovascular stent graft include:
- It is generally preferred over the open surgery as it is considered as a non-invasive surgical treatment for an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- After this endovascular stent graft therapy, it is not necessary to perform an open-chest or open abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery.
- This surgery generally reduces the recovery time
- You can return to your normal activities within 4-6 weeks after the placement of endovascular stent graft.
Care after Endovascular Stent Grafting
The general instructions that you need to follow after the endovascular stent grafting are:
- Do not drive for 2-3 weeks and consult your surgeon once you are planning to resume back to your regular routine.
- Do not take shower until your incisions are healed. You can take sponge bath 2 days after the surgery
- You should not lift any heavy weights or weight more than 10 pounds for about 4-6 weeks after the surgical treatment.
If you are suffering from an abdominal aortic aneurysm, you can consult the endovascular surgeon in Hyderabad for non-invasive surgical treatment. Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala is the best vascular surgeon in Hyderabad who can give successful results for endovascular stent grafting for treatment of an abdominal aortic aneurysm.